The temple is closed due to Covid-19. The grounds are open by reservation only.
The Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine was dedicated by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1950. Many thousands of visitors come each year to enjoy the scenic beauty and serenity of this spiritual sanctuary.
The ten-acre site, with its natural spring-fed lake, includes:
• The Court of Religions honoring the five principal religions of the world
• The Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial (where a portion of Gandhi’s ashes is enshrined)
• A small museum with exhibits on Paramahansa Yogananda’s work
• A gift shop with SRF publications as well as arts and crafts from India
The hilltop temple overlooking the lake was opened in 1996. The Lake Shrine Retreat, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, offers members and friends an opportunity for spiritual renewal.
The temple is closed. The grounds are open by reservation only.
SRF Lake Shrine Temple
17190 Sunset Blvd.
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
SRF Lake Shrine Retreat
SRF Lake Shrine
17190 Sunset Blvd.
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
By freeway from downtown Los Angeles
• Take the Santa Monica Fwy. 10 west to where it turns into the Pacific Coast Hwy. 1.
• Continue for 4 miles then turn right onto Sunset Blvd.
• Lake Shrine is 0.25 mile on the right.
By surface streets from downtown Los Angeles and SRF Hollywood Temple
• Take Sunset Blvd. west (approximately 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles or 20 miles from the SRF Hollywood Temple).
• Lake Shrine is on the left, 0.25 mile before Sunset Blvd. ends at Pacific Coast Hwy. 1.
By freeway from Mother Center (Mt. Washington)
• Return to Fwy. 110 south toward downtown Los Angeles (see directions to the Mother Center).
• At the downtown freeway interchange, keep left onto the Harbor Fwy. 110 south.
• Take the Santa Monica Fwy. 10 west and proceed as indicated in “By freeway from downtown Los Angeles.”
By bus from downtown Los Angeles or Hollywood
We suggest you call the public transportation companies for the latest information on your planned routes. Please refer to Public Transportation Services for phone numbers.
Public Transportation Services
Listed here for your convenience are transportation services in the Southern California cities where SelfRealization Fellowship Temples, Retreats, and Ashram Centers are located.
NOTE: Self-Realization Fellowship is not able to provide transportation services to or from the temples and ashram centers, or between transportation terminals and hotels/motels. However, visitors traveling to the Mother Center by public transportation can arrange to be picked up by car at the base of Mt. Washington, as indicated under the heading “By Bus or Metro…” on page 6. Please refer to that section for details.
2627 North Hollywood Way
Los Angeles International
San Diego International
Lindbergh Field, Harbor Drive
Transportation From Airport
Both bus and limousine services are available to and from Los Angeles International, Burbank, and San Diego International Airports. At Los Angeles International Airport, all airline terminals are served by airport shuttle services, which transport passengers at frequent intervals to Hollywood, downtown Los Angeles, Glendale, and other areas. Please check at your airline terminal for schedules of departures, destinations, and fees.
Inter-City Bus Line
Greyhound Lines, Inc. has a toll-free telephone number that connects to its central, nationwide information center for schedules, reservations, and fares. The number is: (800) 231-2222 or visit www.greyhound.com.
Greyhound Bus Stations:
Escondido 700 W. Valley Pkwy. (760) 745-6522
Hollywood 1409 N. Vine St. (323) 466-6384
Los Angeles 1716 E. 7th St. (213) 629-8401
Oceanside 205 S. Tremont St. (760) 722-1587
San Diego 120 W. Broadway (619) 515-1100
City Bus Lines / Metro Line
Los Angeles County
Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro) (323) GO METRO (466-3876), www.metro.net
San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (619) 685-4900, www.sdmts.com
Santa Monica Municipal Bus Line (310) 451-5444
North San Diego County Transit District, Oceanside Transit Center, 195 S. Tremont St., operates city bus lines in Oceanside, Escondido, and other cities in North San Diego County as well as inter-city lines throughout much of North County
Amtrak nationwide information, reservations, and fares: (800) 872-7245 or visit www.amtrak.com.
Amtrak Train Stations:
Solana Beach 105 N. Cedros Ave. (619) 259-2697
Fullerton 120 E. Santa Fe Ave. (714) 992-0530
Los Angeles 800 N. Alameda St. (213) 346-9404
Oceanside 235 S. Tremont St. (760) 722-4622
San Diego 1050 Kettner Blvd. (619) 239-9021