- Perform tasks and responsibilities associated with the maintenance, repair, irrigation and upkeep of the gardens, trees and grounds in Encinitas including landscaping on steep slopes.
- Perform specific tasks related to pruning of trees and hedges.
- Work both independently, and under general supervision.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in garden maintenance and new installations.
- Help train and review the work of others.
- Manage projects and assign tasks to others as required.
- Follow instructions relating to all phases of work, and implement as appropriate.
- Works in a team, which may include contracted and volunteer individuals performing work on site for the department.
- Responsible for the pruning and the care of hedges and trees.
- Install and maintain diverse plantings of trees, flowers, vines, perennials, grasses and succulents.
- Install, maintain, and repair irrigation systems.
- Maintain koi ponds: clean filters, feed fish, perform water tests and treatments.
- Occasional basic repair/maintenance tasks (painting, simple woodworking, etc.).
- Implement annual fertilization plan.
- Application of pesticides and herbicides. Rodent control.
- Safe operation and maintenance of power equipment (blowers, mowers, weed whackers, chain saws, electric pruners, etc.).
- Adherence to the use of equipment and chemicals in accordance with all safety precautions and directions.
- Overall working knowledge of the department allowing easy identification and appropriate reporting of concerns.
- Responsible to follow SRF’s policies and established processes.
- Other position-related tasks, as assigned.
- Experience in horticulture and gardening.
- Good physical condition and the ability to stoop, bend, dig, rake, climb hills, walk long distances, lift moderate (and occasionally heavy) loads - up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to use and maintain a variety of power tools, including but not limited to chain saws, blowers, mowers, weed whackers and electric pruners.
- Ability to prune hedges, shrubs and trees.
- Ability to use ladders. Must be comfortable with heights.
- Ability to work on steep slopes with appropriate rappelling equipment.
- Ability to operate a tractor and front-end loader, different lawn mowers, and other equipment as needed.
- Experience and knowledge of pruning and the care of trees.
- Experience installing and repairing irrigation systems.
- Basic handyman abilities are desired.
- Ability to remain on task until projects are completed.
- Ability to work in cooperation with other employees and volunteers as group projects require.
- Ability to function efficiently and independently when required.
This is a 40 hour per week position, Monday through Friday.
Local candidates only please. No reimbursement for relocation costs offered for this position.
We offer a competitive benefits package that features a variety of insurance coverage choices including group medical, dental, life insurance, a retirement plan and much more. We also provide paid sick, vacation and holiday time.
Please email your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.