The Director of Public Relations is responsible for strategic counsel to the SRF Board and various SRF departments in the areas of issues and image management, and messaging. The candidate will also be responsible for the development, implementation, and management of an integrated strategic public relations plan that promotes, enhances, and builds awareness among SRF’s diverse target audiences. The candidate must be a collaborative self-starter, skilled storyteller, and excellent writer—with the ability to speak to multiple and varied audiences—and must have a proven track record of advising senior management on complex internal and external communications issues.
The individual hired would need to be able to be present for local PR events in Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego Counties.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, or journalism.
- Thorough knowledge of the public relations/communications industry with 15 years+ experience in public relations either at an agency or in-house.
- The best candidates will have a deep knowledge of the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda and an extensive track record of securing earned media throughout the U.S. and beyond.
- Solid experience working on integrated teams and understanding the full marketing spectrum of strategies using traditional, social, digital, (etc.) platforms.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to simplify complex topics and adjust tone/style as needed.
- Experience with new digital tools, techniques and data to enable personalized engagement with target audiences.
- Extreme attention to detail with strong project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills.
- Global perspective and international sensibility gained through personal and/or professional experiences.
- Develop, execute, and manage SRF’s strategic global public relations plan across all earned and owned platforms, including social, digital, print, audio and broadcast.
- Identify new opportunities to build the SRF image and enhance the external understanding of SRF and the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda among the seeking public, academia, thought leaders, and related fields.
- Coordinate press, interviews, and public-facing activities for the launch of new products and offerings.
- Serve as a key spokesperson for Self-Realization Fellowship, provide media training, develop expert resources for the press, and coordinate and manage spokesperson resources.
- Anticipate and proactively address complex communications issues to ensure effective and timely resolution. Help respond to crises as needed.
- Cultivate and steward strategic relationships with external influencers, members of the news media, elected officials, and thought leaders. Seek opportunities to extend the society’s relationships to advance identified public relations objectives.
- Ensure the integrity, high-quality, and consistency of SRF’s image, tone, style, narrative, and visual identity.
- Assure successful outcomes by adopting best-practice project management methodologies and analyses of metrics to achieve departmental and societal objectives.
Note: Portfolio of work will be required at time of interview.
We offer a competitive benefits package that features a variety of insurance coverage choices including group medical, dental, life insurance, a retirement plan and much more. We also provide paid sick, vacation and holiday time.
Please email your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.